Thursday, August 5, 2010

Lessons on Jesus

Thank God.....I am finally back at work.

Now I can get back to blogging more often working!

And my husband and I can have a more appropriate amount of together time so that we don't kill each other.

Luckily, we all survived the summer.

We are, however, all a little shocked that school will be starting in two weeks so we're trying to squeeze in a few more lake trips, pool trips and movie days before we have to get back to the scheduled grind of the school year.  The kid has decided to squeeze in one more camp before heading off to kindergarten, too.  So, she's been attending vacation bible school with her cousin this week.

Which I may have to reconsider for the next few summers.  Not because of any religious reasons or whatever, but more because I didn't realize how seriously she would take all of it.  The first day she gets in the car and I'm all "So how was camp today?" and she's like "Good.  We learned about Jesus.  Did you know he's dead? That makes me sad for Jesus....I bet his mom cried." Me: "Oh no honey, he didn't stay dead, he was raised from the dead after three days".  And she immediately perks up and asks when her pony, Sally, is returning to the pasture. 

Parent biblical explanation: FAIL.

But then some of the stuff she's told me about it has been pretty damn funny.  The next day I'm like, "Did you have fun at camp today?" and she says "Yep, but today was water play day, so we didn't talk about Jesus, we only talked about God.  On water days, it's God and on the other days, it's Jesus".  And then yesterday, I ask her about camp and she says "Today was fun.  We talked about Jesus and how we need to follow him.  But I don't really know where he's going....I guess we'll learn that tomorrow."

Catholics never really *did* the whole vacation bible school thing.  I'm not sure why, but to be honest, since I went to school with the same kids I went to church with, not seeing them over the summer wasn't all that bad.  Of course, I was raised with a healthy appreciation for Jesus...although I have to admit that I never realized he had such an aversion to water.  Maybe that explains the whole turning it into wine thing and why he didn't want to get his feet wet so he just walked on top of the water.

The things I missed out on learning by never going to VBS... 

No comments:

Post a Comment